Tip: Samsung Video Maker Movie Editing Application on the Galaxy Tab 7.7

Posted on Apr 6 2012 - 6:11pm by Brian

Sometimes I find myself wanting to add a bit more polish to the mobile-recorded videos I post on Facebook but who has time to transfer the movie to a computer, edit on PC and then re-upload it on Facebook? Not I.

That’s where Samsung’s Video Maker steps in–it is a free, pre-loaded app that sets the gold standard for the type of software that should be (allowed to be) pre-installed on a device.

The app boots up in landscape orientation and shows a list of your projects. In my case I don’t have any yet, but you can simply hit the “+” at the top right to get the ball rolling.

Once you’ve got your project started, you will be presented with some options.

1) Themes

First you’ll have to chose a theme. There are 6 options: None, Home Video, Party, Travel, Conference and Movie–I like parties:

2) Main Interface

Next you will be presented with the main editing interface. The top left quadrant houses the Media/Effect/Transition interface, the top right contains a live preview, and the bottom right is the editing time line. The controls are very intuitive with a lot of longpress/drag and drop. The top right corner houses the save, undo/redo and file menu (change theme, export movie, save as and share movie)

3) Insert Video

To add video footage to your project, simply long press to drag and drop your selection from the gallery into the the timeline.

4) Insert Images

You can add images in the same fashion.

5) Insert Audio

You can also create a soundtrack for your movie using the music from your device. You can also record audio straight to the movie and add sound effects from the built in library.

6) Capture Photos and Videos

Last but not least, you can also directly record videos or snap photos from within the app!

7) Effects

Now that you’ve got your content laid out, tab over to the effects panel and drag and drop an effect onto a clip in the timeline

8) Transitions

In between video clips you can use transitions–drag and drop transitions inbetween clips, tap them again to scroll and select a different transition.

9) Export and Sharing

Samsung’s video editor allows you to export your new movie in numerous different resolutions VGA to HD! You can also access the sharing menu in the top right which allows you to share your movie via Allshare, email, Gmail, YouTube and all your social networks via Social Hub.

That’s it folks, get recording! If you have any question or comments about Samsung Video Maker, comment us below. For more helpful tips and guides check out our tips archives!

1. Smalls March 28, 2016 at 3:47 am -

I’m using the Video Editor on Android 5.0. I chose a theme: The return of the hero, only it has too many suggested video clips in it. I tried adding my own clips, then deleting them, but it still leaves the suggested video clips in the movie. How do I get rid of these suggested tips? Great post, btw, very informative!

2. amir January 31, 2016 at 10:27 am -

hey! how can I download this wonderful app??

3. Lucia January 27, 2016 at 6:26 pm -

Hey! I solved it!
    First, I exported a random video, and the colors ended up different, like we said.
    So I made a “new project” with only THAT video (the one with the blue and green tones).
    Then I exported it, and the original colors were back!!! (No more creppy blue and green!)
    Well, I know it’s not really a solution, but it worked for me. 🙂

(Sorry for the bad english, it’s not my native language)

4. Lucia January 27, 2016 at 5:15 pm -

I have the same problem as Troy. When I export the videos, the colors are different. What is happening? How do I fix it?

5. face painter and balloon artist san antonio September 4, 2015 at 4:20 pm -

Years again, we could be hesitant about walking down this path as
    a balloon artist, a balloon entertainer.

6. Echo Ma May 28, 2015 at 6:28 pm -

This program is more than a converter, which is also can be utilized as a powerful video/audio editor. With the help of it, you can edit the file with cropping, trimming, adding effects and watermarks, etc.

7. troy April 22, 2015 at 1:09 pm -

hi, i have a samsung 10.1 note, i have used the video editor to do what i require but when i export the video/videos after i have done all i need to the colour is totally different when playing in the gallery,red turns blue and blue turns red, yellow turns green, what am i doing wrong,

8. patrick August 18, 2014 at 11:36 pm -

I always get the ‘stops responding’ when i start it up on samsung galaxy tab 3 8 inch
    Tried clearing cache and data.
    What can i do so this program starts up? It is a SAMSUNG program so why does it not work on the tablet?
    pvankeer@yahoo.com

9. Medicare Advantage Plan August 10, 2014 at 10:19 am -

I pay a visit every day some blogs and websites to read articles, except this web site
    offers feature based writing.

10. tammy July 17, 2013 at 12:59 am -

Can’t export, why! Please help

11. gojonnygo April 24, 2013 at 10:45 am -

Hi, I’d really love to see a reply to the comment about ‘storyboard is full’, as I have the same prob. Would love to make films with more than 30 pix. Any ideas? Seems weird there’s no settings button for this app. Cheers, gjg

12. Sherrie Carter March 17, 2013 at 6:57 pm -

I cant see all my images on my tablet in the images section of video editor. Im trying to make a slide show withe pictures that I copied off online and the only images I can see are the ones I took with my tablet. What am I doing wrong?

13. nat February 16, 2013 at 7:26 pm -

Whenever I try to export a video, the prosses to export the video keeps failing. How can I fix it?

14. sam February 6, 2013 at 5:10 am -

Everytime i add text to the video it is only in white. how do i change font style, colour and size? is this even possible on this programme?

15. Cat February 3, 2013 at 3:05 am -

Export also failing, tried UN installing and re installing but still no luck? This honed few months back but suddenly started working again…pls help? Tried every other video editing app for Samsung galaxy s3 and all bad. If only Splice which I use to use on iPhone was available 🙁

16. KRICO February 2, 2013 at 2:02 am -

I am having a problem with the Video Editor. I used the Video Editor and edited my videos. No problems encountered. After finishing the project, I exported it to HD/mp4, of course. And it said that it was successfully exported the project to HD/mp4.
    The problem is, there is no sound. The video is there but there is no sound. I’m not sure what the problem is. Everything turned out perfect but the sounds are missing. What a waste of efforts….

17. Anne January 9, 2013 at 7:44 pm -

How do I get my video from project stage to file and then to export to my PC I have 4 projects sitting that I can not share Many thanks

18. Nazareth January 8, 2013 at 9:16 pm -

Just want to know how long of a movie the device will allow to run? When working on a project?

19. Michael January 1, 2013 at 4:58 am -

The edited video cannot be exported….
    Bug!!!

20. walter December 9, 2012 at 8:06 pm -

I’m not able to access my pictures to create a video from my gallery…any suggestions?
    Galaxy II 10.1

21. Brian November 12, 2012 at 6:01 pm -

Hi Tatiana,

The files might be in the wrong directory–try using the default file manager or ASTRO to locate where the default audio files are and then copy over your personal library.

Kandice: “binoatter the resolution” could you clarify what that means?

Thanks,
    Brian

22. Kandice D November 11, 2012 at 4:50 pm -

Each time I try to export my movie from videomaker, it says expo failed, binoatter the resolution. Please help me.

23. Tatiana November 11, 2012 at 4:05 pm -

I’m trying to edit a video and I’m unable to add any of my downloaded songs. I hit the audio tab and then the music tab and none of the songs I downloaded are showing up even though they play and are obviously on my system. It just doesn’t show up on the editor. Could you help me? Much appreciated.

24. Tatiana November 11, 2012 at 4:03 pm -

I am trying to edit a video I’m making but I can’t add my downloaded music to the video. When I go to the audio tab and then to the music tab, none of my songs are there ethical they are on my system. What can I do? Please! I’d really appreciate the help.

25. misz November 8, 2012 at 5:28 pm -

my problem same like wsf:
    I had make a projeclt successfully but I can’t share or export it, the screen always shown “export failed”. How to save the project in the gallery and upload to facebook? Thank you.

26. Emmanuel October 21, 2012 at 2:17 am -

I successfully made a video project which had large musical content in it. But I could not enjoy my movie because of default background music intrduced by the Video Maker. How can I turn off the default background music (or “noise” in this particular case) to enable me enjoy my recording? By the way, my device is Galaxy Note Tab 10-1.

27. greg October 19, 2012 at 7:16 am -

Hey, how do I upload my vid with the same white font it starts with? It keeps changing to black… thanks

28. greg October 19, 2012 at 7:13 am -

Hey, I currently finished a video and it had white font. Every time I try and load it, it has a black font that gets lost in the video… any help on keeping it white?

29. Neville Asli October 5, 2012 at 8:20 am -

I have a Samsung galaxy note. I cannot export files or share them after editing in videomaker. I have tried all the available resolutions. I keep getting ‘export failed’ message. Any suggestions?

30. Joe Trombino September 24, 2012 at 11:35 am -

Hello there. I recently created a video using text, photos, and music. The process was smooth and enjoyable. However, to my dismay, when I export it additional effects are automatically added to my video. Seems like a default effect gets put on the pictures and it’s also doesn’t follow the same timing as the original edit. Is this program just a joke video app that can’t really create actual quality material? Is there another way to export and actually get the video I created? Here’s hoping. Thanks.

31. Jan September 18, 2012 at 4:04 pm -

The app allows me to put about 30 images in the storyboard, then I get “the storyboard is full, take out images”, is there a limit to how big the movie can be?

32. aicha September 17, 2012 at 12:08 pm -

where is the appppppp
    i cant see any download bottin
    or am i blined
    i cant find this dam app
    help please

33. scott September 4, 2012 at 2:14 pm -

i have video on the tablet, however the maker doesn’t see it. says no video. everything else is ok

34. wsf August 24, 2012 at 6:06 pm -

35. Brian August 6, 2012 at 1:35 pm -

Try changing the file extension to .mp4 from .3gp

36. GG August 6, 2012 at 7:42 am -

Hello,

when I edit a movie/video in Movie Maker what format does it write it out in?
    My source video is MP4 and I see my output is 3GP. When I watch my edited video inside Movie Maker it lasts a couple of minutes. When I watch the video outside it lasts 7 seconds!

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Thx

37. be July 23, 2012 at 5:39 pm -

sorry! just attempt to make a video and still could not see the pictures under the IMAGE section. It only allow me to choose the pictures taken from tablet. But if I step out and go to the regular My file folder, I can see the transferred pictures under DCIM-CAMERA folder.

38. be July 23, 2012 at 5:27 pm -

lol never mind, I got it! I transferred the picture FILE into the DCIM. I am suppose to transfer the actual pictures (by select all and drag) into the DCIM – CAMERA folder.

Thanks for your help though 🙂

39. be July 23, 2012 at 5:24 pm -

yes I can see the transferred pictures on my Tab2 (under the sub DCIM folder)

40. Brian July 23, 2012 at 5:21 pm -

Hmm, have you tired going to the gallery application to see if your pictures were successfully transferred?

41. be July 23, 2012 at 5:20 pm -

Thanks for answering but I still can’t find the transferred pictures. Under the Images section only have my pictures taken from my tablet.

I transferred my pc pictures into the DCIM folder. Is this wrong spot?

42. Brian July 23, 2012 at 5:14 pm -

You can choose any pictures in your tablet’s gallery

43. be July 23, 2012 at 5:06 pm -

can I choose my own transferred pictures to make this video? it seems only allowing you to choose pictures taken from the tablet only.

44. SeeRod July 13, 2012 at 3:23 pm -

I have the same problem as Buena Arquillo. Has anyone else experienced this and have been successful in fixing it? Would love to use it but can’t. Is there a way to re-install?

45. Buena arquillo July 4, 2012 at 7:09 am -

Just bought my samsung galaxy tab 2 p3110, the movie doesnt work, it opens with new project, when i press it, it shows themes but then goes back to new project. Should i ask for replacement?

46. Regiane May 7, 2012 at 7:32 am -

At the time of exporting my movie I choose the resolution 1280×720, but the end result is in another resolution. 🙁

You must be logged in to post a comment.