Tip: List of 10 Important Changes for Galaxy S II with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Update

Posted on Mar 22 2012 - 3:11pm by Brian

After upgrading my Galaxy S II to Android 4.0.3, I’ve found a fair amount of changes to the look of Android as well as the structure of the UI. For the most part its pretty intuitive, but we thought we’d give you a heads up.

1. Menu Button

The old menu button used to being up a 6 button grid with icons on the home screen, and 3-2 button grids on others.

In Android 4.0, the menu button now brings up a list of options sans icons. I personally found this a bit confusing as the icons were helpful in locating what you need, but this helps maintain a cleaner look. You will also notice icons have disappeared from various locations around the UI such as the dialer.

2. Input Method Notification Icon

This one of the most apparent changes because as soon as you start typing, a small keyboard icon will appear in your notification bar indicating you are using your input method.

By opening the notification bar, you can select this icon to select a different input method and quickly access their settings as well. This was a nice addition because it takes out one step when trying to reach your keyboard settings.

3. Restart Option

It always puzzled me why there was no restart option in the power menu.

Now I wonder no longer–at the bottom of the menu you can find a restart option.

4. Lock Screen

The default lockscreen is now simpler and more intuitive, with a shorter throw:

In addition, you can turn off the lock screen, or use Android 4.0’s face recognition feature to unlock your phone:

5. Sideloading and Installation from Unknown Sources

The sideloading option has now been appropriately moved from the applications menu to the Security section of your phone’s settings:

6. New Settings Menu/Categories

Our familiar list of settings options are now categorized into Wireless and Network, Device, Personal and System.

7. USB Debugging moved to Developer Options

The familiar method of toggling USB debugging has now men moved to the Developer Options category:

In addition, there are a plethora of new debugging options.

8. Auto Rotate Moved to Accessibility

Auto rotate is no longer part of the revamped display menu, but rather the Accessibility menu:

9. Favorite Contacts Thumbnails

You favorite contacts section will now look different from your normal contacts:

10. New Screen Capture Key Combination

For quite sometime the good ol’ screen cap combo was quarter-cricle forward punch er–I mean it was power+home. Now screen capture much more convenient to actuate with one hand thanks to the combination of the volume and power down buttons:

When you complete the screen capture, an icon will appear in your notification bar. If you select it, it will allow you to go directly to the photo.

For more helpful guides please visit our Galaxy S II Tip Collection.

1. Chassidy July 16, 2016 at 4:47 am -

That’s a cunning answer to a chlnleaging question

2. Brian January 17, 2013 at 3:25 pm -

Vanda, what do you mean the grid box, are you talking about the app drawer? I would recommend backing up all your data and performing a factory reset if Sprin is unwilling to help you out.

3. Vanda January 17, 2013 at 1:26 pm -

Need help here. I love, love, love my Galaxy SII but every since I did an upgrade on it, my grid boxes are continuously opening and closing. I have removed the battery overnight, I have shut off my phone while charging, have taken it to 2 Sprint stores and they tell me its a Samsung glitch that you are working on. When will this be fixed. It is almost impossible for me to make phone calls or handle emails or facebook with the grid box popping up and down all the time. HELP. I don’t want to buy another type of phone, but I’m tired of paying for a phone that I can’t use.

4. liza August 17, 2012 at 6:52 am -

I do not like this ice cream upgrade…it eats up the battery and it’s difficult to use the sync service on my vehicle…in the past all i i had to do was hit a button nowi have to manually set the phone and sometimes it went work….really frustrating!

5. niki August 17, 2012 at 5:18 am -

the menu view on my samsung galaxy S2 has change to a list type format…………………………….i want to change it to a grid type….pls help

6. Kristina August 3, 2012 at 9:31 am -

“Favorites will be displayed in grids of 6 with large square thumbnails for icons. In addition, selecting them will directly dial them; select the small profile icon on the bottom right to text/view info.” This is not working for me. When I select a favorite it takes me to a screen to select call or text. I much preferred swiping right or left to call or text. This is one of the things that really irritates me about this update and I don’t seem to be able to change it either.

7. David Jarzabek June 27, 2012 at 7:28 am -

I love this website. I has been very helpful and I am glad that it serves us Samsung Galaxy S2 owners well. Keep up the great work.

8. Vanessa Peri May 7, 2012 at 10:57 pm -

Hmm, just did and it said no update available, would it say it in Kies even if it wasn’t yet available in New Zealand?

9. Brian May 7, 2012 at 9:32 am -

Hi Vanessa,

Are you located in New Zealand? Have you tried checking for updates through Menu > settings > about phone > upgrade?

10. Vanessa Peri May 7, 2012 at 1:12 am -

Hey guys,

Trying to contact you but no email address listed?! I need help upgrading my phone through Kies, I have a galaxy II and am wanting to upgrade, finally, to Ice Cream Sandwich, but everytime I try it says firmware upgrade stopped working. HELP! It just came out in NZ

Thanks!

You must be logged in to post a comment.