It’s already new year’s eve eve, and with less than 48 hours to go in 2011, it’s about that time to take a look at what big stories rocked Samsung and our worlds. This past year has definitely been one of the biggest–if not the best–year for Android, and Samsung followed suit breaking records and wowing users, bloggers and companies around the world. Let’s take a look at our top 5 Samsung news piece for 2011:
5. Apple vs. Samsung Coming in at number five is news that Apple would be taking Samsung to court on multiple different infringement suits. It all began with Samsung’s alleged copycatting of iOS with their TouchWiz UI found on their Galaxy S devices, but this soon bled over to the Galaxy Tab as well. Initially this made headlines because of Samsung and Apple’s close hardware partnership which caused people to wonder if hostilities would lead to interruptions in hardware production. The only immediate end-user affect we saw was that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 was banned in Australia and parts of Europe, but later re-released with a modified bezel.
This story is also very significant to the industry as a whole as it set a precedent for the patent war that has been launched by Apple (among others) on Google, Android, and OEMs. This story is still in motion for all involved so keep your eyes peeled for further developments well into the future!
4. Samsung’s Anti-Apple marketing Campaign On a related note, our next favorite news piece goes to Samsung’s ferocious anti-iPhone ad campaign which ridicules iPhone fanboys for their blind dedication to an inferior product. After Apple’s relentless onslaught lawsuits that spanned multiple parts of the globe, Samsung decided to launch a marketing campaign ground-war targeting the consumers rather than the courts.
We think this was a great move as it brings much more awareness to a product in a way that doesn’t damage the smartphone ecosystem. Although there has been some backlash by the barista community… nobody else seems to care–in fact, judging by the like:dislike ratio on YouTube, I think we can all agree that its pretty darn funny:
3. Samsung’s Record Breaking 2011 Sales Figures As we stated earlier, this was a ground and record breaking year for Samsung and Android. Even though Samsung’s Galaxy S set amazing sales records the previous year, the Galaxy S II went above and beyond. After selling 5 million Galaxy S II units in a scant 3 months (85 days to be exact), Samsung outdid themselves once more by doubling that number in a mere 78 days, besting the original Galaxy S GT-I9000?s march to 10 million unit sales by over 1 month.
The craziest part about this is that all of these sales figures were pre-US release of the Galaxy S II. We can’t wait to see how well the Galaxy S II’s sales numbers are doing after its successful stateside launch.
2. Samsung and Google Galaxy Nexus Runner up for our favorite story of the year is anything and everything about the highly anticipated Galaxy Nexus. And we though the Galaxy S II’s release date anticipation was bad…
The Galaxy Nexus kept people on their toes for the better part of two months as speculators kept throwing out various release dates ranging from pre-Halloween, pre-Thanksgiving and finally pre-Christmas launch. The development of this story came with multiple leaks and screemshots of both the beautiful curved hardware and sleek software.
ICS was touted to be the biggest changeup to Android that we had seen yet and by the looks of it so far it seems to be true. Designed to merge the smartphone and tablet operating platforms, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich has impressed users and reviewers with numerous UI improvements and additional features such as Face-unlock and software navigation keys.
1. Samsung Galaxy S II Last but most certainly not least of this year’s Samsung news stories is the venerable Galaxy S II. The Galaxy S II turned out to be on of the most popular smartphones of 2011 thanks to Samsung’s amazing hardware. The Exynos 1.2GHz dual-core CPU and Mali 400 GPU are still the fastest you can get on an Android phone and the razor thin 8.49mm waistline paired with a big, beautiful 4.3″ Super AMOLED Plus display make the phone an obvious top pick for 2011.
Samsung’s Galaxy S II set the gold standard by which all other smartphones in 2011 have been judged and will continue to do so well into 2012 until the Galaxy S III is launched. Cheers to a great year for Samsung and Android–we can’t wait to see what’s next!