Less than a month out and Samsung is already getting ready to release an update for the Galaxy Tab 10.1.
This update is actually pretty significant as it will be bringing over all of Samsung’s standard Android software additions that were absent for the Tab 10.1’s release. Here’s a rundown of everything to expect:
Premium Video and Movie Content
This update will bring Samsung’s Media Hub application to the Tab which allows users to buy content and share it across up to five Media Hub-enabled devices including tablets and smartphones. Check out our review of the app here.
Samsung’s TouchWiz UI
In Samsung’s own words,
Delivering superior multi-tasking and enhanced user interaction and navigation, Samsung TouchWiz creates a more visual, fluid and intuitive computing experience with these features:
- Live Panel: Features a magazine-like widget view to get immediate access to weather, social updates, email, news, etc., right on the home screen. Its visual layout is completely customizable so you get relevant information delivered to you instantly
- Mini Apps Tray: Get easy access to commonly used applications—Task Manager, Calendar, World Clock, Pen Memo, Calculator, Music—which overlay on current activity for powerful multi-tasking
- Clipboard: Advanced copy-paste functionality allows you to store photos, web pages, YouTube links, etc. on the clipboard for easy sharing by email and social updates
- Indicator Quick Panel: Quickly toggle on/off Wi-Fi, notifications, sound, brightness and settings.
Compared to Samsung’s TouchWiz for smartphones, this iteration seems quite tame and unintrusive. We will bring you screencaps of the new UI as soon as we get the update.
Samsung has chosen a select trinity of apps worthy of being preloaded onto the Tab 10.1:
- Amazon Music Cloud Player: Upload all your music to the cloud and access it from any device a la Google Music
- Amazon Kindle: A million books at the tip of your fingertips… and wallet
- Words with Friends: Zynga’s hit Scrabble game that everyone cheats on
If you’ve used any of Samsung’s Android phones you will be familiar with Swype as it is one of the preloaded options. If not, check out our review. This update will being a tablet-optimized version with the capability to resize and relocate the keyboard anywhere on the screen.
Samsung didn’t give any details on exactly how this would work, but I’m thinking there will be an app (perhaps integrated into AllShare?) that uses WiFi to connect to printers to print documents and pictures that are opened on the Tab.
Can’t remember where you put your Tab? Samsung’s new application offers a variety of tracking/security services including
- Live tracking of the device on a map interface
- Remote device lock
- Remote wipe of personal information
It’s great to see Samsung offering these types of applications as a free service to their customers.
Samsung’s Hub services give users the power to have all the content they could ever possibly consume right within their mobile devices.
- Media Hub offers thousands of movies and next-day TV show access.
- Readers Hub give users a library of more than 2.2 million books, 2000 newspapers in 49 languages and 2300 magazine in 22 languages
- Music Hub offers 13 million songs for users to download
- Social Hub aggregates emails, instant messages, contacts, calendars and social connections into one single interface
Samsung will be releasing a bunch of accessories for the Tab 10.1 in the near future (mid-summer), take a look at our overview of the suite here.
Curious how get these updates? Stay tuned for our instructions on setting up your Tab 10.1 for Samsung’s upcoming updates!