AT&T has launched FamilyMap service which allows your family to keep track of other family members on a map displayed on mobile devices or on a PC. It can even schedule location checks so that location data will be sent through SMS of email.
â€œAT&T FamilyMap is a terrific tool to help busy families keep track of each other, as well as a great way to check up on loved ones for any reason, such as to touch base with elderly family members,â€ said Mark Collins, vice president of Voice and Data Products for AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. â€œMore than 60 percent of AT&T wireless customers are part of a family plan or multiple line account, so thereâ€™s a considerable number of our subscribers whom we believe will find this service beneficial.â€
Users may locate any phone with which a billing relationship is established â€” for example, phones that are part of the same wireless account.
AT&T familyMap is currently offering the first 30 days of service for free. The service will cost $9.99 per month for two family members or $14.99 per month for five.
- AT&T phones that use A-GPS can return very accurate location (within a few yards), if the phone can “see” the GPS satellites. This could be while using the phone outside or near the window of a car, for example. These Samsung Windows Mobile devices are supported as well: Samsung Blackjack, Samsung Epix and Samsung Propel Pro.
- For all other phones, the system automatically uses alternative location technologies. In these cases, you may receive a location with an accuracy of a few hundred yards or more. When you request a location, you will be given the best possible location fix given the conditions.
If you are Windows Mobile users, you can use other (Free) applications rather than AT&T Familiy map service.
1. LocateMe : Easily share your coordinates with others Email or SMS
2. SmartphoneTracker : SmartPhoneTracker allows you to locate your phone via GPS coordinates, it can certainly be useful if your phone gets lost or stolen. Another usee for the application is to locate missing family members. Basically, SmartPhone Tracker is configured to look out for a certain text message. When it receives that text message, the program will wake up, activate the phoneâ€™s GPS and obtain a lock.
3. Google latitude : See where your friends are and what they are up to.