AT&T Family Map Service

Posted on Apr 16 2009 - 12:02pm by Hansoo

AT&T has launched FamilyMap service which allows your family to keep track of other family members on a map displayed on mobile devices or on a PC. It can even schedule location checks so that location data will be sent through SMS of email.

familymap_att

AT&T FamilyMap

“AT&T FamilyMap is a terrific tool to help busy families keep track of each other, as well as a great way to check up on loved ones for any reason, such as to touch base with elderly family members,” said Mark Collins, vice president of Voice and Data Products for AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “More than 60 percent of AT&T wireless customers are part of a family plan or multiple line account, so there’s a considerable number of our subscribers whom we believe will find this service beneficial.”

Users may locate any phone with which a billing relationship is established — for example, phones that are part of the same wireless account.

AT&T familyMap is currently offering the first 30 days of service for free. The service will cost $9.99 per month for two family members or $14.99 per month for five.

Supported Phone

1. AT&T phones that use A-GPS can return very accurate location (within a few yards), if the phone can “see” the GPS satellites. This could be while using the phone outside or near the window of a car, for example. These Samsung Windows Mobile devices are supported as well: Samsung Blackjack, Samsung Epix and Samsung Propel Pro.
  2. For all other phones, the system automatically uses alternative location technologies. In these cases, you may receive a location with an accuracy of a few hundred yards or more. When you request a location, you will be given the best possible location fix given the conditions.

Video

Other Applications

If you are Windows Mobile users, you can use other (Free) applications rather than AT&T Familiy map service.

1. LocateMe : Easily share your coordinates with others Email or SMS

2. SmartphoneTracker : SmartPhoneTracker allows you to locate your phone via GPS coordinates, it can certainly be useful if your phone gets lost or stolen. Another usee for the application is to locate missing family members. Basically, SmartPhone Tracker is configured to look out for a certain text message. When it receives that text message, the program will wake up, activate the phone’s GPS and obtain a lock.

3. Google latitude : See where your friends are and what they are up to.

1. Wasteofmoney August 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm -

It’s a waste of money first off why would you send a text to all phones saying they can now be tracked? Some people would like to keep that private which should be up to the discretion of the account holder and all you have to do is turn the phone off and it can’t be located…

2. Brittanie Nixa February 28, 2012 at 2:18 am -

I read this article fully on the topic of the difference of newest and preceding technologies, it’s remarkable article.

3. Tresa April 16, 2011 at 7:40 am -

Does it send a message to the phone every time you try to track it are just one time.

4. shaeon johler April 6, 2011 at 6:53 am -

i use familymap at&t. i have not had much luck with it lately, i’m so tired of not being able to locate. it is always a hit or miss. with more misses. well i thought i would take time to sit down. try locateing. O.M.G. i just kept going,again, again and again i ended up doing locate
    54 times. i,m crazy right. get wats really crazy. out of 54 trys, i got the location 3 times. yep 3. 40 times said within 3.3miles of. wrong it was soooo many more. there was 1 time it said, within 9.9 miles. so what is up with that. how can something that is there to help u feel safer about your loved one. be so wrong and fare about were they really are. i would love to know. i just can not see how it is so far of.

5. callisto February 11, 2011 at 3:38 pm -

I am beyond mad. i need to know what everything that #36 needs to know!!! i have THINGS to do this weekend!

6. Brian February 1, 2011 at 9:53 am -

Is it ever completely wrong? Like for example, my wife says she is at home, but FamilyMaps is reporting that she is within a 1.3 mile radius of a location nearly 15 miles from our house.

7. me December 19, 2010 at 1:30 am -

If I turn off location based services on my iphone4 can I still be tracked

8. Annoyed December 14, 2010 at 2:05 pm -

I have an iphone, Just wanted to know… (1) if I turn off the location services, can I still be tracked? (2) if I turn on airplane mode, can I still be tracked? (3) if I turn my phone completely off, can I still be tracked? (4) if all the above fail, if I take my sim card out, can I still be tracked? THANK YOU!

9. bullshitt November 23, 2010 at 11:28 am -

i got a txt yesterday saying my dad’s fone can track me… seriously this is bullshit! and an invasion of privacy… whats the point of trying to build trust when regardless they’re checking up on you constantly anyway? note to parents: your never gunna trust your kid if you keep checking on them!

10. P.Schmitz October 12, 2010 at 11:58 am -

Dear Blahhh,

Some phones can still be tracked even when off. While I don’t recommend you completely taking yourself off the grid in case of emergencies, you can remove the battery making it almost impossible to track. Thanks for the question.

11. Blahhh October 9, 2010 at 9:44 pm -

Question!! My parents track my phone. I was wondering if your phone is off can it still track you??

12. anastasia September 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm -

another question does it track the gps in the cell phone even if the sim card has been swithced to another line that doesnt have the family map plan. or it strictly locates the sim only

13. anastasia September 15, 2010 at 1:16 pm -

so if my son leaves his sim card in another phone where he is supposed to be and takes his cell phone and borrows his girlfriends sim to use it. will i locate the sim card location or his actual cell phone. because he is very sneaky and i know sometimes him and his girlfriend switch sim cards to trick me so my question is does the plan detect the location of the sim card or the cell phone?

14. Wow September 6, 2010 at 6:24 pm -

Yeah I just got a text saying that my mom will be tracking me also,lamr at&t ,really quite lame.

15. deb June 5, 2010 at 7:49 am -

On another note you can really get freaked out, I had not heard form my daughter and was expecting a call, I got up in the morning and used family map to find her phone it looked like it was in a field!! I got really scared I called her boyfriend and he handed her the phone it was on silent, apparently the house is near a field looking from a birds eye view is very different than when I was over there , thankfully she is safe and apologized for not calling.

16. Richard January 24, 2010 at 5:59 pm -

I tracked my doughter. It was anywhere from 35 yards to 16.5 miles. Not very accurate half the time. Note to parents: When you sign up your phones, a text message is sent to all phones signed up saying that they can now be tracked by your phone number and it is sent periodically thereafter, once a month or so. The main thing is that you will not know if your kids are where they are suppose to be, now that they are reminded that they are being tracked. All they need to do is turn off their phone and they can no longer be tracked.

17. Dave January 24, 2010 at 9:16 am -

I have a question.
    Does disabling location services (in settings app) on an iphone disable being able to be located?

18. LIZ December 24, 2009 at 8:56 am -

I have had the Family map program for months now. It is never very accurate. When one phone was in the Dallas Cowboy stadium, Family map said it was in Kansas! Just checked location of iphone (its my lap) family map said it was within 2.5 miles. Sometimes system seems to “bounce”. It will say phone is within 800 yards of this location and two minutes later will say it is in a location 15 miles away. It does this everyday. It is not accurate and has lots of bugs. I still use it because its better than nothing, but in reality not much better. You can get a general idea of the lcoation of the phone but there is absolutely no way you could immediately go to someone based on the location services. I have used with the Iphone and a nokia phone for several months now in Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Missouri and
    Arkansas.

19. dude December 24, 2009 at 8:20 am -

It is a shame that Samsung is also promoting GPS-like accuracy from ATT. It is just not true. 34 yards is NOT GPS.

20. dude December 24, 2009 at 8:18 am -

I would not have a problem with the accuracy if the salesperson had not sold me a phone with a GPS chip in it so that I could get more accurate information.

Instead I find out that the family map NEVER uses the GPS device and only cell towers. I could have gotten that service with any phone.

An ATT bait and switch and a flat out lie.

21. Todd December 24, 2009 at 8:08 am -

Works good for me. Although the accuracy is usually a few dozen or a few hundred yards, the center of that circle itself (showing an icon) is ususally very very close (within 10 or 20 feet), so the comments above about lack of accuracy are exagerated.

22. Danny Mitchell December 1, 2009 at 9:21 pm -

Follow up to get email alerts.

23. Danny Mitchell December 1, 2009 at 9:20 pm -

The ATT familymap is using deceptive advertising and lying about it’s features. You can NOT get closer than 34 yards with this phone, no matter the GPS signals.

The ATT salesperson will try to sell you a phone with a GPS device in it stating that the FamilyMap will get better accuracy, this is a lie and false advertising.

The only time the phone actually uses the GPS device is when it is using ATT navigator. NOT as FamilyMap.

In fact in 90% of the times the accuracy is via cell-phone towers and is >0.5 miles of the actual location, actually worthless.

24. Lena November 18, 2009 at 10:09 am -

I think I know exactly what is going to happend with all connection problems. I won’t be able to use the familymap during free period,and as soon as that period is over and I’ll have to pay- vuala everything began working perfectly, just wath your accounts!

25. hansoo November 3, 2009 at 1:09 am -

It tracks SIM card, not the phone. As long as you keep your SIM, the service is up.

26. tammy November 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm -

does it track the sims or the phone?

27. Jim October 29, 2009 at 9:12 am -

The FamilyMap feature sounds good but is near worthless in reality. Rarely gives location closer than 7.2 miles. Often no signal/location at all. Also alerts teen they are being located. Cost way too much to not be more accurate or reliable. Great idea but rolled out before its time. ATT: work on this and when its gets better, let me know. Thanks.

28. Susan Elmstad September 14, 2009 at 8:04 pm -

I tracked my son. He had an older flip phone. It was accurate anywhere from 150 yards to 1.5 miles. Then he lost his phone and I replaced it with one that is a step down from the Iphone and it is accurate within less than 1 mile and usually less than 300 yards, down to 20 yards. My understanding is that the pricing is $14.99 for 4 phones per month. Note to parents: When you sign up your phones, a text message is sent to all phones signed up saying that they can now be tracked by your phone number and it is sent periodically thereafter, once a month or so, I think. Also, after a few weeks, letters are mailed to the billing address for each phone number saying the same thing. It was worth $15 to me. It did what I needed it to do. Thanks AT&T.

29. mrwangkai September 1, 2009 at 7:16 pm -

Thanks for the information Gary!

30. Gary September 1, 2009 at 5:33 pm -

Read the faq folks,it explains accuracy depending on how strong the gps signal is,on the dash will do better than in the glove box etc.Also it states that at this time iphone will only use cell tower triangulation .

Yes. While any post-paid FamilyMap phone can be located with AT&T FamilyMap, the most accurate locations available are with A-GPS (Assisted GPS) phones* that use the FamilyMap network and have a clear line of sight to GPS satellites (e.g. outdoors or on a car dashboard). Devices not in a clear line of sight to GPS satellites or non A-GPS devices may return a locate via network triangulation with an accuracy of a few hundred yards to a few miles.

* The Apple iPhone will use network triangulation accuracy only.

Note: Prepaid and Go Phone services are not supported.

For a list of A-GPS phones, visit http://www.wireless.att.com.

Note: If the family member you are locating has an AGPS device and is also subscribed to AT&T Smart Limits for Wireless(TM), there are times that the system will need to use the alternative location technology to locate the device and will return a location with an accuracy of a few hundred yards or more. This will occur if the family member has reached their Browsing Limit or is in a Time of Day Restriction at the same time of day you are locating them.

31. ncegonm August 20, 2009 at 4:50 am -

Hi. Correction. I have it to monitor 2 brothers on my family plan.
    Cost is $9.99 for 2 lines and $14.99 for up to 5. I’ve had good luck with the service.
    1. It’s accurate up down to 14 yrds for us – both phones are Lg Xenons,
    2. Scheduled alerts text me and email a location “map” with detailed info,
    3. I text both family members from the fam map home page with a few clicks,
    4. Overall easy to set up and use, we love the service.

32. Julie Richardson July 17, 2009 at 11:21 am -

Service does not provide enough accuracy. When I am trying t track where my children are, 1 mile is not nearly close enough for piece of mind. Will probably cancel during free trial period and wait to subscribe until accurance improves.

33. Was His Girl July 12, 2009 at 6:32 pm -

Well, I assure you that it can do a pin point location. My guy said he wasn’t married, have been with him for a year. His wife added it to her plan yesterday, found him at my house 1 hour ago. It wasn’t pretty. I can see how this can cause serious danger to people. Then again, my hats off to her and AT&T. He deserves whatever he gets! I’m greatful for her spending the money so that I don’t waste another minute on him!

34. jose July 4, 2009 at 11:27 am -

The price is a bit exesive. But it seems the marketing guys at ATT have something with 9.99 that is how much they charge for the music application that would otherwise be free if you had true unlimited access to the internet. I’ll try the family map for free but I won’t keep it if unless they come up with a better price. I have a couple of friends with smartphones that are able to do the same with google latitude, for free.

35. jeffsmom June 24, 2009 at 5:53 pm -

We love the Family Map service offered by AT&T – except for the ridiculous price. It is a per-user price… That means it costs us $15 for my husband to keep track of us. If my daughter and I also want to use this service, it will cost us another $15 EACH! If AT&T ever charges a reasonable price, we will opt into the plan.

We are still in our free trial period and learned this because we could only track each other online or on hubby’s phone. The service rep explained it and the website confirmed it.

The Xenon and Envision phones work very well with Family Map. Daughter went to the park to test it out, and she was located within 32 feet from the road by the park. She is now on a school trip to DC and was tracked to the Lincoln Memorial (and confirmed by phone call). VERY cool! A must have if the prices come down!

36. John June 21, 2009 at 6:15 am -

ATT family maps is not the best of services. The best we can get with blackberry curves (GPS) is 1-3 miles. that is when you can get the web page to actually open. Traacking by mobile is impossible. I dont think we will keep this service as it is not all ATT says it is.

37. Liz June 12, 2009 at 5:50 am -

I have been using the Map program with an older Nokia flip phone. The closest it locate was 455 yards, in a more rural area it was off by 9 miles. Recently added 8gig I phone. Best locate so far has been 255 yards but oftne 1 mile or more. IPhones are supposed to have A-GPS. Does anyone know if there is a phone that works better with Family Map? Calling ATT is pointless. It appears they hire help techs as long as they have a pulse. Knowledge or the ability to read their own website is not required.

38. mrwangkai June 9, 2009 at 2:32 pm -

@Steve, I think the best way to find out the limit of this technology is to contact AT&T who actually monitors this application. I’m suspecting that you won’t be able to get a pin-point position of where she is simply because of the cost that will be involved. But it certainly doesn’t hurt to ask. Do let us how it went. 🙂

39. Steve June 9, 2009 at 2:29 pm -

My family member has an I-phone — the best I can get with this software is an indication that she is within 1-3 miles of the nearest cell tower. Is there a way to get a more accurate read than that — like an actual address — otherwise this software is useless to me?

40. hansoo June 2, 2009 at 3:56 pm -

I don’t think it is working without cell signal. They use cell network so that unless turning on or being within range, it would not work properly.

41. Lisa June 2, 2009 at 6:21 am -

If the phone is turned off or if you don’t have any signal does this service still work?

42. mrwangkai May 18, 2009 at 5:25 pm -

@Ren, yes there is certainly that side of the coin. You do have the option to opt out of the service if it becomes uncomfortable for you. 🙂

43. ren May 15, 2009 at 5:31 pm -

THIS IS CREEPY.
    i just got a text, that i can be located by my mom..WTF?
    thanks att for giving people another way of spying on other people!

You must be logged in to post a comment.